Calkins Law Office opens perhaps every couple of years. See the only known video tour INSIDE of the oldest building in Grand Rapids & learn more about its history, led by Gina Bivins from Grand Rapids Public Museum. Originally at Monroe Center/Ottawa, it now sits at State/Jefferson/Washington. More about Grand Rapids history from Tours Around Michigan ToursAroundMichigan.com
Calkins Law Office:
Oldest Surviving Structure in Grand Rapids
Built in 1836, it housed the law office of Charles P. Calkins, who came from Hinesburg, Vermont, about this same time. Mr. Calkins married Mary Ann Hinsdill.
The law office was located at the northeast corner of Monroe Center and Ottawa. It is now maintained by the Grand Rapids Public Museum and was last located in Lincoln Park adjacent to the old museum on Jefferson Street, in downtown Grand Rapids.
Charles P. Calkins and his father settled first at Kalamazoo, where the former studied law. In 1834 Charles P. Calkins went to Ann Arbor to complete his law studies, and was admitted to the bar in 1836. He soon came to Grand Rapids and formed a law partnership with Benjamin G. Bridge, which continued until summer 1839, when Benjamin Bridge died. In 1853, Calkins formed a partnership with John T. Holmes for about three years until election Holmes was elected to the office of justice of the peace.
Calkins retired in 1880 & passed away September 2, 1890